Sunday, March 20, 2011

In The Service of What?


In the article, “In The Service Of What? The Politics of Service Learning” by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer, it discusses two types of services. Kahne and Westheimer  discusses the difference between service for charity and service for change. The idea of service for charity is based upon the concept that a peerson volunteers his or her time to give back to the community, and to experience the pleasure of committing to this service. On the other hand, service for change, has a deeper meaning for a community and its volunteers. In the service for change, a community needs service which can aid the volunteers with knowledge to form relationships and help solve the problem together. Kahne and Westheimer believes service learning for change offers much more WINNING experiences for the community receiving the aid. Service for change concentrates more time on a WINNING plan rather than unconsciously volunteering time for the benefit of volunteering. Kahne and Westheimer wants the idea of service learning projects to individually provide different purposes and emphasize a variety of standards. The time that a volunteer spend working with students only provides real changes in their education when they are determined properly and repeatedly. If changes in their education are not being made, the time that he or she spends volunteering simply becomes a service for charity.

My question is, “What are we doing it for?”

6 comments:

  1. I think that the article shows both sides of that question. If you are doing it just to give back then they fall under the charity category and if they do it for knowledge then they are doing it to change something. Either way it is a great question that I never even knew existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with marisa. I never realized that such a deep qurstion like this was even around. I always thought you did it for both giving back and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points when discussing the two different types of service learning. Good question at the end. I agree with Marisa and Francesca. I do it not only because it is a requirement, but because I love it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that really is a deep question that i never really thought about before. I guess if i had to answer it then i would say both charity and change because i am trying to help but it is also something that i have to do. That really was a good question

    and i like the music you had playing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you have the music playing when you go on your blog. It makes it fun. Also, to answer your question, I started off doing my service learning just because it is a requirement but now that I have learned to really enjoy helping the children and trying to make a change, I go there to make a difference in their lives and with their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a deep question. I say that i am doing it for both change and charity as well like Luke said.. I'm doing it because its required but also because i love being there.
    But, then again, once i started going there, i haven't wanted to stop! so it stopped being a requirement and more like something i WANT to do...

    (and i agree with Luke and Mariah about the music!)

    ReplyDelete