Sunday, March 6, 2011

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us and POWER RANGERS!!!

       In the article, “Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us, written by Linda Christensen, its discusses the issue of media influencing our youths.  She believes that our youths are persuaded to believe the media’s representation of specific stereotypes. Media is perceived as innocent but Christensen tries to prove a point that there is more than meets the eye. Children’s cartoon, shows, movies, and literature gives stereotypical messages to our young people before they can understand the meaning. Christensen points out that media gives off a secret education towards our youths. They enter the minds of children at a very early age. All children see is the pleasure that comes from within them.  She is blaming racism and stereotypes on media.   
       This article is a very enlightening piece that I have read in a while. Her argument was true and she had all the facts to prove it.  For example, she says, “Have you ever seen a black person, an Asian, a Hispanic in a cartoon? Did they have leading roles or were they a servant? What do you think this is doing to your child's mind? Women who aren't white begin to feel left out and ugly because they never get to play the princess” (131). I started thinking of every show I use to watch when I was little, to see if they sent a stereotypical message. Sure enough, there was one in particular. For example, the first season of Power Rangers. If any of you have been alive long enough to have seen the Power Rangers, you would have already figured out that there is something odd about the portrayal of the original cast. The black ranger is a black guy who break dances. How stereotypical. The yellow ranger is Asian. The white ranger is a white dude and also the mightiest of the rangers. The green ranger was Irish. The pink ranger is a preppy white girl. The blue ranger is another white guy. The red ranger is a redneck and he was the leader. That’s just my opinion. Why couldn’t they had cast an Asian as a leader. Despite that, this is still my favorite power ranger season. It was weird thinking after finishing this article. 

Here’s a clip about power rangers (Note: this is just a parody...not the originals)


5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about everything I've seen too. Couldn't remember anything that seemed to be an exception.
    I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember most of the seasons. You're right.
    That video is awesome. And it hits just about everything we've talked about too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i didnt think of the power rangers but now that you have mentioned that one as well i can see how that could be true

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so funny because my friends and I have had the Power Rangers conversation too! It was messed up how everyone’s color was a stereotype and I think you chose a perfect video to beat people over the head with the racism stick. You had a lot of really good points and its sort of sad because Power Rangers use to be my favorite show when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love the power rangers! Thanks for pointing out the stereotypical black breakdancer and so on. That is just another one of those flaws from the media. I am just flabbergasted at how stereotypical tv shows were and are still today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I didn't include the power rangers in my article but my sister and I always commented on that once we were older....we never knew it when we were younger but my dad actually pointed it out to us one day. It really makes your post interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete