Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gender Gaps In Education

It may still be a man's world but for how long? For years, educators were concerned that girls were not keeping up in the classroom. Now the worry is that boys are falling behind in almost every academic category. Thirty something years ago, boys, not girls, were the high performers in schools. Today, test scores, grades and dropout rates show boys are achieving at levels far below girls. You might notice this but go to almost any college campus in America today and you’ll notice something missing. In the last 10 years, two million more women than men graduated from college in the U.S. Women now make up just over 40 percent of the nation's college students. And it’s not just college. Women dominate high school honor rolls and make up more than 70 percent of class valedictorians. And where are the men going?
In the nation's elementary schools, that’s where many young men first start to fall behind. What we know is that in America:
  • ·         80% of high school dropouts are boys
  • ·         80% of all classroom discipline problems are boys
  • ·         44% of college students are boy
Once boys hit their freshman year of high school, they're at greater risk of falling even further behind in grades, extracurricular activities, and advanced placement. While the girls are busy working on sweeping the honor roll at graduation, boys are more likely to be bulking up in a weight room or otherwise engaged in video games or downloading music.

What are your thoughts? I feel outnumbered in every way!!! LOL


4 comments:

  1. I think your video has a lot of interesting and scary statistics. Although I do have to disagree with your statement about boys more likely being found bulking up in the weight rooms. I know a lot of girls who are distracted by their own interests who manage to get their work done. I feel as though boys are just more physical than girls so they just get caught up in other things and don’t ever return to their school work when such is the case. So I guess I don’t disagree with your statement, I just find it very stereotypical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I like coming to your blog Sam and hearing the music. It's different from what I listen to and I like that cause I like new things. Anyways, I highly agree with Heather, that video was startling.The statistics are so High. I think, like from own personal perspective, it's impossible to imagine statistics like those because I've known what?...like 3 or 4 people to drop out...actually 5....3of them male, and 2 female. But it's five, and it's only from my isolated little High School. To realize the statistics are actually that high...well I'm speechless. I honestly don't know what to say...it scares me. I don't know, it's like the idea of wanting to have children, and hoping the girl does really good in school and academics and makes honor roll and gets straight A's, while you only want your son to be the best in the sports teams, be the captain, and PASS classes. Not get straight A's, but simply just pass. I don't know, that's just what it made me think of. Thank you for finding that video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a different take on this issue than I would normally have considered. Gender bias can run both ways. At RIC you are definitely going to feel outnumbered! There are definitely more girls than boys. I think that is probably because we are a school that is very focused on producing teachers and nurses. The fact that those professions are dominated by women is problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your last comment Mary about RIC professions of teachers and nurses being dominated by women. As for this blog I loved it and I think I am going to extend off of it. Most of the research I found had the opposite and was concerned for girls so I really found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete